Thursday 4 May 2017

Toolbox Thursday #1 Digital Multimeter

Welcome to the first Toolbox Thursday in this update I will give you some information on a tool and a review of the tool I use . this weeks tool is the digital multimeter.


A multimeter (pronounced “mull-TIH-mih-ter”) is a device that can test several electrical parameters. The most common and important quantities you’ll need to measure are voltage (volts), resistance (ohms) and current (amps or, more typically, milliamps, which are thousandths of an amp). The analog incarnation of this test device, recognizable by its big meter needle and multiple-stop selector knob, used to be called a VOM (volt-ohm-milliammeter). Now that the meters are digital, they’re usually called DMMs (Digital Multi Meters), but they do the same thing, except that the readout is numerical instead of something interpreted from the position of a meter needle. DMMs began as very expensive, high-end laboratory instruments, but they’re cheap now and pretty much all you can buy. The market positions have reversed, and VOMs have become the exotic technology, with a good one selling for considerably more than a digital

The DMM I use is a Draper which was given to me by my uncle a few years back I don't know what model it is but I find it does everything I need it to. It is one of the most used tools I have as I use it in nearly every project, repair or test .

The main things I use it for is testing resistance on resistors and checking voltage it is a must in every electronics hobbyist toolbox.

as for my one it is old but still works perfectly as you can see from the pictures it has an easy to read display. I find myself always using it so its on my workbench ready to go or as in the case of the pictures in the boot of my car as I have been using it to check lights.

Dobby

No comments:

Post a Comment

dobby repairs

Hi everyone I know that I haven't posted on here for quite some time  I probably won't be posting on here again for a while but I wa...

Total Pageviews