Sunday 14 May 2017

Project Day # 2 Foam Cutter V1

Welcome to the second Project day this weeks project is a diy foam cutter that I'm making for my sister who is into arts and crafts.

the parts

wood for the handle I used one 9inch piece and 1 6inch piece 
one battery holder I used a 4.5volt holder that takes three aa batteries 
two lengths of wire 
two crimp connecters
two bolts , six nuts and a washer
one length of Nichrome Wire

 


Step one 

I placed two of the nuts on a the six inch length of wood and marked out were I wanted the bolts to go .

Step 2

I drilled five holes into the six inch piece of wood two for the bolts and another to run the wires. finally one to join the two pieces of wood. 

Step 3

I joined the wooden pieces together with a screw 


Step 4

I attached the battery holder to the nine inch piece of wood with one screw.

Step 5

I the striped one end of the wires and soldered them to the battery holder followed by heat shrink to cover the connections.



Step 6

I fed the wires up to the top piece of wood and cut them to length and crimped on the two connecters .


Step 7

I then place a bolt through each connecter then tighten two of the bolts to hold it in place on the wood .


Step 8 

I joined the bolts with the Nichrome Wire  tightening the last bolt and wire to keep the wire in place .




The foam cutter in action


here is the video on youtube


this project works really well it cuts through foam like a hot knife through butter I will be remaking this project again in the future and I will make some changes including add a switch and using longer bolts I was also thinking about making it run off a USB power pack

let me know what you think about it and if you have made something like this 
Dobby


No comments:

Post a Comment

dobby repairs

Hi everyone I know that I haven't posted on here for quite some time  I probably won't be posting on here again for a while but I wa...

Total Pageviews