Sunday 11 June 2017

Project Day #6 Earthed helping hand

Good afternoon folks and welcome to another Project day this weeks project is the Earthed helping hand



Why I made this project 

I made the because I wasn't happy with the helping hands that you can buy so I decided to make my own after some thought and searching I settled on the design I am going to show you here .


Parts Needed

  1. 20cm x 20cm piece of wood 
  2. 2 pieces of wood 20cm x 2cm
  3. 4 crocodile clips 
  4. wire 
  5. 3 coolant pipes (these can be found cheap on ebay)
  6. a 1m resistor 


Step one 

The first step is to shorten the coolant pipes this is done by pulling the tubes apart  and removing 8 of the links .

Step two

next up is to use a 5mm drill bit to widen the opening at the end of each pipe so the crocodile clips can fit in.

Step three

now why we have the drill take a 13mm drill bit and drill 3 holes into the the base plate (20x20cm piece of wood )

Step four

the next step is to flip the base plate over and glue the 2 pieces of 20 x 2cm pieces of wood on to the bottom. I gave the base a coat of paint after this step

Step five

now on to wiring up the crocodiles clips I did this by cutting three lengths of wire long enough to go through the coolant pipes then I soldered the wire into the crocodile clips for the clip going to earth I soldered the wire into it the same way as I did for the others and at the other end I soldered the 1m resistor in place making sure to heat shrink the bare connections

Step six

next is to thread the wire through the coolant pipes this can be a bit of a struggle but when a bit of the effort you can do it.

Step seven

the next step is to attach the coolant pipes to the base plate I did this by screwing the pipes in then using hot glue to hold them in place 

Step eight

now its time to join all the wires coming from the pipes together with solder 

Step Nine

the last step is to solder the wires from the pipes to the resistor of the of the earth wire then heat shrink followed by using hot glue to hold the wires to the base .





How I could make this better  

there are a few improvements that could be made I would like to add a magnifying glass and a extra hand for holding but in pleased with how this turned out I hope you enjoyed this and let me know if you have any ideas I could improve it  

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you liked what you've read then please check back tomorrow after 17.00gmt for another update thanks again. Dobby 





No comments:

Post a Comment

dobby repairs

Hi everyone I know that I haven't posted on here for quite some time  I probably won't be posting on here again for a while but I wa...

Total Pageviews