Sunday 4 June 2017

Project Day #5 Solder fume extractor

Good afternoon folks and welcome to another Project day this weeks project is the solder fume extractor 


Why I made this project 

I made this to help deal with the fume that come from solder which I find can make my eyes sore after a long build. the main part to this was two pc fans that I got from a old computer. so it was a pretty cheap build using things I had to hand the only item that I needed to order was the active carbon filter which I got from ebay but you can pick them up from garden centres and diy stores. by fitting the half a hose pipe joiner to the I can also vent the filtered fumes outside and well away from the work area thus making my soldering cleaner and more enjoyable .

Parts Needed 

2 12v pc fans
1 active carbon filter
1 red led
1 100k resistor
1 2.1mm female power jack
1 12v power supply
6 pieces of wood cut to fit around the fans
1 hose pipe joiner
1 switch



 


 Step one

the first this to do is to glue the pieces of wood together leaving the biggest parts for  the front and back unglued

Step two

on to the next step now which is to cut the hose pipe joiner in half as you can see in the picture   I used my dremel for this you want to cut so that there is a lip left on it .


Step three

the next step is the drill a hole big enough to fit the front end of the hose pipe joiner through and then glue it into place 


Step four

the forth step is the drill the mounting for the fans into both the front and back pieces to make sure these where in line on both pieces I marked the front and drilled through both pieces at once then I drilled holes in the front  for the led and switch as well as a big hole for the fans to suck the fumes in and one more in the back for the power jack.

Step five

the next step is to add 4 bolts through the holes join both fans together  and cut the filter to size to fit between the fans .

Step six

now on to the wiring I started by soldering a wire to the positive and negative pins of the power jack using a red wire for positive and a black wire for negative .

Step seven

then I soldered positive wire to the first pin on the switch and then I soldered positive wires from the fans and the 100k resistor to the second pin on the switch the I attached the resistor to the anode of the led 

Step eight

next join all three of the negative wires together and solder them to the cathode of the led 
that finishes of the wiring for this project

Step Nine

the next step is to bolt the fan to the back panel and place through the square that was made in step one .



Step Ten

the last step is to put the switch and led into place and bolt the front on I found one of the grills from the pc case and used that on the front to make it look a bit nicer 


How I could make this better  

there are not to many improvements I would make to this but if I had the chance I would use bigger fans and make the case bigger .

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you liked what you've read then please check back tomorrow after 17.00gmt for another update thanks again. Dobby 

No comments:

Post a Comment

dobby repairs

Hi everyone I know that I haven't posted on here for quite some time  I probably won't be posting on here again for a while but I wa...

Total Pageviews